“In one or two photos, it looked as if u are expecting, is that correct?
This is an extract from a mail that one of my aunts who saw recent snaps of Ayaan and me. It’s not very polite but I think I needed it. I really need to get serious about the extra weight that I have been carrying around since Ayaan was born (mostly on my tummy and hence the comment).
There have been some attempts but none that have met with any success:
- I had great plans of exercising when I was in Jaipur at my mom’s place for a couple of months. But Ayaan’s refusal to nap during the day coupled with his difficult feeding habits just sapped every ounce of my energy and I went for exactly two walks in the entire period that I was there. And since Ayaan refused to take to the pram, even strolls in the park on this pretext were ruled out.
- I joined Gold’s Gym in November last year. With great enthusiasm and optimism, I paid up for an annual membership. So far, I have been there all of 10 days. Not only have I flushed perfectly good money down the drain, I have also given my husband something to hold over me for the rest of my life! (The latter being a far more upsetting thought than the former)
- I tried to cut down on the food intake. But I had to contend with the huge appetite I developed while I was breastfeeding and which refuses to go away. I still feel so hungry all the time.
So anyway, the abovementioned comment had galvanised me into a creating a fresh action plan. This is how it goes:
When Jai and I take Ayaan to the park, I leave them with each other and take a brisk 15-minute walk around the park. I know it's not much but atleast it's a start.
I am going on the GM diet this weekend. I am not very confident about the sustainable weight loss that this diet can effect but I am still doing it the following reasons:
- It’s only for 7 days and I think I can muster up a week’s worth of staying power.
- I am spending the week at my mom’s place so I can leave the responsibility of procuring and preparing the necessary food to her.
- Also, a week’s stay at Jaipur always adds a couple of kgs and by swearing off all the yummy food, I will atleast not pack on any more of the dreaded pounds.
- I am hoping for some initial weight loss (however small and unsustainable) to prod me into further efforts at getting back my erstwhile slim body.
- It seems that the GM diet helps you detoxify and get rid of the impurities accumulated in your system. And I have been feeling a bit bloated lately.
This is the toughest and most important part of the plan. I am not the kind of person who can diet (hence the choice of a 7-day diet) – I love food too much. So exercise is the long-term way for me to lose the weight and keep it from coming back. So Step Three will mean going back to make use of whatever is left of my gym membership. Since my husband gyms as well, we have agreed to go on alterative days so that one of us can stay at home and take care of Ayaan’s morning rituals.
So there it is. Wish me luck with kick-starting this ambitious plan with the GM diet. And hopefully one day, I can look like one of these celebrity moms (I especially crave the flat tummies they are sporting):