Friday, May 26, 2006

The Birthday Party

On Saturday, Ayaan turned one and we celebrated it with a small little birthday party. My mother came down to Mumbai for the occasion and we called a bunch of friends over. Only one of these friends has a kid and they didn’t bring him since he was down with the flu. So Ayaan’s first birthday party was completely devoid of any kids. The birthday man himself was a little disoriented by the sudden influx of strangers into the house but he behaved quite well overall.

Now for some party pics…

Ayaan's two birthday cards - the one on the right from his great-grandmother and the other one from a friend of ours. Getting a card is so much nicer than a call, SMS or e-mail, which is how most other people sent in their wishes.


Ayaan got LOTS of gifts:
- Baby-sized plastic bat and ball set
- Plastic skittles with a bowling ball
- Pull-along ducky with detachable ducklings
- Pull-along, rotating turtle
- Swimming tube
- Tent
- Very loud and noisy musical truck
- Set of clothes and shoes
- Musical piggy bank
- 3 books

But what he most enjoyed playing with was all the boxes and wrapping paper that the gifts came in.


The party was nice and relaxed. Ayaan got to taste some beer from his grandmother's glass. It seems he liked it and demanded some more. Here you can see him trying to taste my wine.

That's our living room in the picture. We had moved most of the furnture out in our attempts at baby-proofing. So we had to get in the futon mattress and some dining table chairs to ensure that there was enough place to sit.


The birthday cake!

The lady who made this is really famous for the 'novelty' cakes that she makes for bachelor and bachelorette parties. But she seems to be pretty good at doing baby cakes as well.

She asked us what animal Ayaan likes. The choice was between crows and doggies. But since the thought of an all-black crow cake was not very appetising, we decided to stick to the doggy.


And the grand finale - the cake cutting. The actual cake cutting never got photographed and because of so much movement, many of the pictures of this part of the afternoon came out all blurred.

Even though there were no kids, we decided to make it like a kid's birthday party. So we slaved over balloons and streamers. And even made everyone wear party hats.


I was a bit worried about the party since I had called two groups of friends (college friends and work friends) and I was worried about whether they would get along. But it worked out fine. Alcohol really is the best social lubricant – not only did everyone seem to get along, I was tipsy enough to not really care… It’s good my mom was there since I had a LOT of wine and went into a deep slumber after the party. So she and Jai took care of Ayaan while I had the best nap I have had since Ayaan was born. It was a good way to celebrate ‘Surviving One Year’ day – getting high and then sleeping it off.

23 comments:

  1. Ayan behaved like an angel. He thoroughly enjoyed roaming all over the place. He showed that he is becoming a big boy. Soon it shall be all laughter and sunshine with crankiness having flown out of the window. You both are also great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooo!!! well i should wish YOU a great first aniversary then eh? what say?! Good Job mommy!!

    OI!! easy on the alchy!! ..lol the kid is gonna start drinking young i tell ya!!

    *runs away fast before Ayaan's mommy can hot Grafx with a Broom*

    ReplyDelete
  3. **err that was "HIT"*...my typoism will be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like everyone had a great time. I like the way you put it..it's more like celebrating "survivng one year".

    Those unexpected, deep, naps are THE BEST.

    Happy Birthday Ayaan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Ayaan. Nice cake!!
    Any plans on getting him a brother or a sister as a present for his next birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. [Patti] The laughter and sunshine parts of the day are getting longer every day.

    [Grafx] With a grandmom who gave him his first sip of beer at the ripe age of one and a mom who got drunk on his birthday party, what do you expect? :)

    [Mint] Thanks. Only another mom can get the feeling of well being that comes with an unexpected nap

    [Sameer] Thanks. Don't you think it's time someone else in the family took their turn in furthering the De Costa clan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pictures! So nice to put faces to names!

    Glad you guys had a good time at Ayaan's party. I've hosted a few child-less birthday parties due to the guests getting sick, but my kids still enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. [Talena] I almost didn't. Maybe it's just me but putting up pictures on the blog is so hard. First it took AGES to upload and then I kept deleting the pictures by mistake while editing. And the final post and layout looks nothing like the preview they show you so I had to go back and edit quite a few times...phew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthday wishes for Ayaan. Nice pics. Yes, it does take time uploading pics,e specially in the evenings I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pics Rohini Jai and Ayaan. The pics alignment is a problem in blogger, it never comes out like it says it will so I've taken to putting them one after the other using the center alignment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. [Suemamma] Thanks. Next step is getting a video up a la your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. [Mosilager] Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice photos Rohini! And glad you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yah, I've had to revamp a few, too. I'll often use the center-it trick when I just don't have energy to fiddle with it.

    Are you on dial-up or high-speed?

    ReplyDelete
  15. [Pearl] Thanks. Why are only team members allowed to comment on your blog though?

    [Talena] Dial up unfortunately. The connection at work is supposedly hi-speed but it's as bad as the one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No Rohini, I'm only still figuring out how this thing works! I have changed that. Only recently I found out it was set to 'team members'! The best part is there are no team members too :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,
    I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I stumbled across it while I was looking for baby gift to compare to some of the baby gift I make. If you get a chance, go to www.diapergifts.com and let me know what you think. I will be coming back to vist your blog often. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday Ayaan!! Hope you're feeling more rested Ro, after the nap and the sense of joy and satisfaction at 'surving one year'!

    ReplyDelete
  19. [Ankan] Thanks. I think so too ;)

    [Maverick] Could not follow your link

    [Quack quack] Ayaan says thanks you. The 'rested' feeling hjas long since passed...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,
    Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a baby gifts for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.combaby gifts, I've heard that is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you please give me the contact details of the person, from whom you got the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend has a baby cakes website...kind of like yours. He's having a tough go of it and is considering giving up. If you get a chance, go to baby cakes and give him a few words of encouragement. I think he has a really great site.

    ReplyDelete