So Ayaan has been quite unwell for the last five days. It started with a bone-rattling cough and has bloomed into fever that won’t go away. The dreaded antibiotics have finally been called into action and we might have to get an x-ray done if he doesn’t respond to these in the next two days.
But looking at him, you couldn’t be blamed for thinking that you were in the presence of a boy in the very pinkest of health. Sure, there have been cranky patches when the fever spikes and ultra-clingy behaviour even when it doesn’t but overall, the young man has been in one of his most bouncy, naughty moods in recent history. Some examples from the last couple of days:
- Decided that the chair at the computer table belonged to him. And everytime he even remotely suspected that I was headed towards it, he would let out a giggly shriek and run to claim it for his own. And then insist that I sit in his lap! It's no surprise that I didn't get much work done. Gingerly perched with only a quarter of one's weight being supported (to avoid squashing the silly fellow with delusions of grandeur) doesn't lend itself to typing...
- A good fifteen minutes were spent wrapping my dupatta around himself. And then wrapping it around me.
- Playing with Play Doh the good, old-fashioned way is clearly for losers so it was applied to the walls.
- Leapt off the weighing scales at the doctor's office and landed on his bum. Quite hard. Got up cheerfully, rubbed said bum cheerily and set off to find something else to do.
- Also at the doctor's office, tried to get all the sad, sniffly kids to play with him and got mighty upset when they didn't.
- Insisted on giving me a haircut with his nail-cutter.
- Blew bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles. And when some bubble-liquid was spilt, insisted on wiping it up himself.
- Ran to the front door shrieking everytime the doorbell rang, lest someone dare get there before him and open the door instead.
- Chased every sodden crow that sought shelter from the incessant rain on one of our balconies with the mighty whoop.
- Climbed up onto the pot in the loo (lid down obviously) and instructed me on how to brush my teeth.
And that's not even including the non-stop chatter and barrage of questions that I have been inundated with all day long, including the colour, name and reason of each of the medicines he has had!
Seriously, this boy needs a lesson on how to be sick...