Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Aftermath

It got worse before it started to get better. We went back to the doctor on Friday morning and all seemed well. But things went downhill once we got back home.

His coughing fits, as predicted by the doctor, worsened but were often accompanied by vomiting, causing him to eject the precious little nutrition we had managed to shovel down his gullet. This made him so weak that he just lay in his bed listlessly and would create a massive fuss to sit up and have even a sip of water. And then the fever started climbing again and touched 101. We called the doctor and he called us back so we went across for the second time that day.

Of course, since messing with my head is the brat’s favourite pastime, he was full of beans the minute we got into the car and by the time we were at the doctor’s office, there was no sign of the lethargic boy from just an hour ago. The doctor checked his vital signs and said he was well enough to go back home. He asked us to feed him frequent, mini-meals of whatever he liked. In fact, he asked Ayaan what was his favourite thing to drink or eat was, and the brat’s eyes sparkled for the first time in days and he grinned mischievously and said, ‘Sprite’. Anyway, Sprite was duly purchased and the course of antibiotics was extended by three days.

Friday night and Saturday were still tough since Ayaan had absolutely no appetite so we tempted him with caramel custard, applesauce and rice-curds-honey, and he condescended to have 5-6 spoons at a time of whatever was on offer. I actually woke him up twice during the night to make him eat a few bites and plagued him to drink sips of water almost every 10 minutes.

Today has, touch wood, been much better. He has been fever-free for 48 hours now. The coughing is less violent and he has not thrown up anything all day today. And while his total food intake today is probably still a quarter of his regular diet, it is huge progress compared to what he has been able to eat and retain in the preceding week. So I hope I am not speaking too soon when I say he seems to have turned a corner.

But such a virulent and drawn-out infection (fever for 9 days) has left its mark. I cannot find the words to adequately describe the amount of weight he has lost but let me try... The circumference of his upper arm now easily fits into the circle made when my thumb and forefinger touch at their tips. His knees and elbows look abnormally big and stick out from his skinny legs and arms. I can count his ribs. And it breaks my heart to carry him because I can climb a flight of stairs without breaking a sweat, a nearly impossible feat a week ago. I actually have to hold back tears every time I look at him. And it does not help that we are headed for a family wedding in a couple of weeks, where I will be subjected to a million comments about how thin he has become

We cancelled our Bangalore trip. Ayaan still had fever on Friday so it just did not make sense to travel the very next day. Both the strain of travel and the exposure to germs seemed highly avoidable. Plus, it would have all been a bit pointless. This illness has made him very clingy and he wants nothing to do with anyone but me. So it is unlikely that he would have been very friendly to the rest of the family. Hopefully, we can go towards the end of his summer holidays.

Hopefully this is the end of this subject and I won’t find myself writing another post on this. A big thanks to everyone who wished Ayaan well in the comments on the last post

36 comments:

  1. Thank God Ayaan is better - keeping fingers crossed that he is back to the pink of health very soon. That must have been tough on you. I totally freak out when R is ill, so I know what you must have been through. Hugs, girl - you try and get some rest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know he is on the mend. Can empathise with the feeding spoonfuls...and the comments at weddings. Just say you're glad he's healthy and kicking and give 'em a glare on my behalf. And give Ayaan a big hug too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheer up rohini...as we keep on telling ourselves weight is just a number, if he is fever free and regaining his sense of humour and spirit (and love for sprite!) you should be happy. he will pile on the pounds pretty soon. all our prayers, a

    ReplyDelete
  4. next time if your little boy does not improve ask the doctor if he would consider a dose of anti-emetic (anti-nausea) medication?

    ReplyDelete
  5. also i hope he feels better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldnt comment earlier, but thank god Ayaan is feeling better. I hope he is back to his normal self soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. - Good he's getting better :)
    - My son is gonna be 5 this july and weighs barely 15kgs and the above description fits him to the T...does that make u feel any better????
    - don't worry about the crowd at the wedding...they would tellya jus the same even if he put on 10 kilos...
    - He'll be fine and regain the lost kilos fast..don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank god things are looking up Ro! this sounds like such a harrowing ordeal! :(

    am sure he will be back to his good old self under your TLC. so dont you worry about that.

    ofcos i know how annoying well meaning relatives' Qs about how thin kids are is.

    but hey you have a valid reason this time! think about poor souls like me! :p

    hugs to all of you! stay fine now Ayaan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ gayatri - 15kgs at 5 years! thank you for giving me hope! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Rohini, thank God he's feeling a bit better. And please don't worry about the relatives - they seem to have an issue with everything that's not their business. When you're single, they want you married asap. When you're married, it's the pressure of going the family way. And when that happens, it's how much your kids weigh. Smile and ignore.. or if you're like me, grit teeth and ignore :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good that he finally is recovering ..
    Prolonged illness does take more time to fully recover ...but since its holidays time maybe he will come to his normal self quickly..
    Its so tough to see ur kids to go through such pain ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishin Ayyan a speedy recovery and being his happy cheerful self soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know that Ayaan is getting better , here's hoping that he's back to his normal , naughty and adorable self soon!

    And come on , relatives talk , however/whatever you do. And i always get a jaw ache everytime i come home from a family wedding because of all the gritting of teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know that Ayaan is getting better , here's hoping that he's back to his normal , naughty and adorable self soon!

    And come on , relatives talk , however/whatever you do. And i always get a jaw ache everytime i come home from a family wedding because of all the gritting of teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i should have become a parent after i turned 40.

    i dont seem to have the equanimity/ calmness to handle the kids' illness bouts now...

    i was practically a puddle this past week


    yay! that your son is much better....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Rohini,
    Hope Ayaan is well now. I liked your blog so much that I'm trying to make an effort to read it more often now. I don't know you but I can relate to your stories about kids, family & life in general! I'm originally from Mumbai and am living in the States currently. If you don't mind may I know where you are from and where do you reside currently? Also I see you pretty much are following a similar schedule for kids as people here follow. I'm sorry if I sound absurd right now but I don't know many moms in India right now and don't know if they follow the same things that parents here do for their kids. So just writing what I'm thinking. I think you're doing a great job and I like whatever info you are sharing here!:) My husband keeps telling me that we should write a blog so that we remember everything our almost 3 year old daughter said or did during her childhood! I agree but despite of being a stay-at-home mom am unable to get myself to write something! I did make a scrapbook for her but it doesn't have all the details! I like the way you write and would love to know what you studied, what kind of work do you (i.e. if you're working) I don't mean to intrude into your private life so at any point if you feel like not answering any of my questions please 'ignore me gloriously' :)

    Take care.

    Regards,
    Ruchi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to know Ayan is better now... cheer up, he'll gain what he has lost - just a matter of time. This reminded me of a time when Pattu was hospitalised for a week - traumatic! These are times when I think about my mom - be around for him and give him lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know that hes doing better...i hate reading about little sick boys....there is something so wrong about that...

    must be tough for you to manage ayaan and teh baby at the same time...hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor little fellow and poor you. Hope he gets wellv ery soon and regains the lost weight. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Rohini,
    Here's my email id
    rusona@gmail.com
    If you'd like to correspond to me directly that's the way to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Ro! Good to hear that Ayaan is doing better. Hope that he completely recovers soon. And can empathise with the wt loss thingy. The bacchas just seem to melt away during any illness, and something as prolonged as this must be even worse and heartbreaking.

    But the good thing is that hopefully the ordeal is behind you. Take care (both of u) and hope to see you back to your old self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad he is doing better ... and pls don't worry too much about his weight. He needs to be fit and cheery first .... that most important. You take care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad he is better now. You take care of yourself too...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Exactly same sentiments when my 1 yr old baby was down with a bout of Viral Diarrhoea - constant vomitting and constant diarrhoea, food doesn't stay inside..took extreme patience on the husband's part to push fluids down his system...Awful time, wishing this never repeats :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds harrowing and I can perfectly understand as Kavya also had a similar (less severe) episode which just got over (keeping fingers crosses) yesterday. I am back at work today after a long hiatus. Don't worry about the weight cos I'm sure he'll regain it when he's back in the pink of health.

    I'm sure you're thinking "I need a holiday". Take rest whenever you can so that you can be as cheerful as possible when looking after him. One thought...how did Tarana manage during all this?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ro so glad Ayaan is better now. His appetite must have improved by now. And don't worry about the relatives comments at the wedding- they will be easily diverted by lovely Tarana.

    ReplyDelete
  27. *hugs and steaming mugs of tea*

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's been a tough tough time:(
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Seems like he is recovering well, thats really good. Its so hard when the little one is sick.
    Hope he recovers completely soon. Take care of yourself too. Get Well Soon Ayaan!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks everyone. Ayaan is much better but not a 100% yet. There's been more illness going around the family as well. Details in my latest post...

    The family wedding is days away. I hope we are all well enough to go and if we do, I hope my teeth survive the gritting and grinding :)

    [Sinusoidally] The doctor said it would not be of much help since the gag reflex was being triggered by the coughing fits

    [Gayatri] i could hug you! Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous1:17 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous1:34 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous11:59 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11:55 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous12:03 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous5:06 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete