Sunday, May 09, 2010

It Ain't Over

I know this is getting old but sickness still reigns in these parts. When it rains, it pours, as the cliche goes. And before I had time to breathe a sigh of relief at Ayaan's fever-free state, I was struck down myself.

It started on Monday morning when I woke up to a sore throat. By nighttime, I had a body ache and relatively high fever. And just in case that was not enough, somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, I developed an excruciating ache in my upper left wisdom tooth. Bad enough you say? How about you add to this the fact that all this came to be on the morning that my mom left and Tarana added to the merry mix by waking through the night at an hourly frequency... and believe me, this is just the half of it so read on.

Tuesday passed by in a feverish blur. The toothache was easily sorted with a quick visit to the dentist and a temporary filling, but the fever continued to rise and soon, the mercury levels were well established between 102 and 103. My sore throat also escalated to levels where it was painful to swallow and it felt like someone had been at work in there with some industrial strength sandpaper. Not wanting to subject Tarana to strong medication, I took periodic doses of Crocin and planned to wait out the infection.

By Wednesday, I felt no better and a lot worse and was ready to call in the big meds but before I could think of dragging my sorry self to the doctor, Tarana was found to have a temperature of 101. So, of course, the only doctor we visited that day was the paediatrician. I was told to dose her with Crocin and come back if the fever persisted after 48 hours.


On Thursday, my mom found herself on a flight headed back to Mumbai, having left just three days ago. Jai also took most of the week off. I don't know what I would have done without them. I finally managed to get to the doctor and was finally given some antibiotics, which I also cross-checked with my paediatrician for compatibility with breastfeeding.

Tarana showed no signs of improvement and by Thursday night, her fever spikes were in the high 102s. So we went back to the paediatrician on Friday morning and guess what, she is on antibiotics too and we are all hopefully limping our way back to normalcy.

Oh wait. That's still not all of it. We were told to repeat Ayaan's x-ray again to see if the infection had cleared up. Well, he's still coughing and the x-ray still doesn't look clear in spite of a 10-day dose of antibiotics. So now we have been prescribed some further tests to investigate the issue.

Yeah, I think that covers it all (except Tarana's mild diarrhoea thanks to the cocktail of meds she is imbibing directly and through my breast milk). At least for now but who knows what tomorrow shall bring - along with Ayaan's test results amongst other things...

31 comments:

  1. :D .. *Hugs, Hugs and more Hugs* .. this too shall pass ... Get well soon mommy duck n the lil ducklings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh....this was awful...I do hope this is the last bunch of germs that's assaulting you guys. Maybe it's the grand finale...and tomorrow everyone will turn the corner. Hugs and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh hugs and take care. I hope this phase passes real soon and all of you bounce back to normal. Nikki's been down last couple of days with a tummy bug that's just refusing to go away too, I know how terrible it is when kids fall ill :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew. I hope and pray the illnesses vanish from your home real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief... sounds horrible alright!! It usually does happen that one thing follows another, but this is something else. REALLY hope that all the illness clears up soon, and that u're all back in the pink of health... Just amazed that u're managing to write about it while going thru it!! Get well soon u all. And hugs to all, esp the little ones. Just wish I could do more than offer verbal support. I stay in ur area, so if there's anything u need, just lemme know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that sounds awful! Let's just hope you've seen the worst already and you'll wake up to clear blue sky tomorrow. Prayers. Cheer up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful...hope all of you get well SOONEST.

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodness! that sounds terrible. hang in there Ro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I was really worried for you when we spoke. Had a bad feeling.
    Hope all of you are well and healthy and rested very soon. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww.... hoping all of you get well soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs dear!Get well soon...all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. good health to you and the fam, ro. hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh...so terrible..
    Hope everybody is Ok soon..
    lots of good wishes to you,Aryan and little Tarana..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh - so sorry to hear all this! I really hope and pray all of you get better soon. It sucks when your kids are sick and it is even worse when you yourself are down and can do very little to help them :( Huggggggggs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the best Ro. Must be really tiring and frustrating. A big hug and my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone. Things do seem to be turning around. Ayaan is still coughing but the test for TB was negative (thankfully!) so I guess we just have to wait it out. Both Tarana and I seem to be finding it hard to shake the cough off too. But at least there is no fever.

    [NMOTB] Hope Nikki is better now?

    [Preeti] Thanks muchly for your generous offer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shit! :-( Hope all's well again, finally!Hugs, babe! (and i mean you)

    ReplyDelete
  18. shucks. sounds bad ro. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:52 am

    It must be very tough for you. My prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know how this feels..we had a case of Viral Diarrhoea which started with my 1 year old and worked its way to his dad, my mum and my dad. It was a bad bad bad week.. Things will be ok soon. Take heart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good grief, sounds awful. hang in there - this too shall pass ( that's the only thing that keeps mothers of young kids going !)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Rohini, a get well soon wish for you and the kids. This too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey.. this sounds so terrible. I hope you and the children get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ouch! this is post is almost from 2 weeks ago, so i am hoping alls well with you guys by now!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there, she's much better thanks, but still lactose intolerant after the tummy bug. So we're resuming a normal diet slow and steady and giving her soya milk for now. Say, had Ayaan ever been down with a stomach infection? It worries me becoz according to the doc its very common and happens all the time, but if I have to restrict her diet so drastically each time it happens it'll drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope he's feeling better now

    ReplyDelete
  27. Inshah allah ... things will all get better.

    Don't worry ... your family's resistance against is probably just starting to get strong, and hopefully a next round will be well withstood

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Ro how you coping up now? Please take care. Sending you prayers, hugs and good luck from this part of the world. Take care bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG! That does sound terrible! I wish all of you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope all the trouble has been sorted out by now. Must be tough to see the children be so sick. At least with adults they know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. [NMOTB] That's good to hear. Ayaan got one stomach bug a couple of years ago. That was baaaad but never repeated. I am obsessive about handwash hygiene and another good practise is to put a pinch of potassium permanganate in the water used to wash the veggies...

    ReplyDelete