I know this is getting old but sickness still reigns in these parts. When it rains, it pours, as the cliche goes. And before I had time to breathe a sigh of relief at Ayaan's fever-free state, I was struck down myself.
It started on Monday morning when I woke up to a sore throat. By nighttime, I had a body ache and relatively high fever. And just in case that was not enough, somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, I developed an excruciating ache in my upper left wisdom tooth. Bad enough you say? How about you add to this the fact that all this came to be on the morning that my mom left and Tarana added to the merry mix by waking through the night at an hourly frequency... and believe me, this is just the half of it so read on.
Tuesday passed by in a feverish blur. The toothache was easily sorted with a quick visit to the dentist and a temporary filling, but the fever continued to rise and soon, the mercury levels were well established between 102 and 103. My sore throat also escalated to levels where it was painful to swallow and it felt like someone had been at work in there with some industrial strength sandpaper. Not wanting to subject Tarana to strong medication, I took periodic doses of Crocin and planned to wait out the infection.
By Wednesday, I felt no better and a lot worse and was ready to call in the big meds but before I could think of dragging my sorry self to the doctor, Tarana was found to have a temperature of 101. So, of course, the only doctor we visited that day was the paediatrician. I was told to dose her with Crocin and come back if the fever persisted after 48 hours.
On Thursday, my mom found herself on a flight headed back to Mumbai, having left just three days ago. Jai also took most of the week off. I don't know what I would have done without them. I finally managed to get to the doctor and was finally given some antibiotics, which I also cross-checked with my paediatrician for compatibility with breastfeeding.
Tarana showed no signs of improvement and by Thursday night, her fever spikes were in the high 102s. So we went back to the paediatrician on Friday morning and guess what, she is on antibiotics too and we are all hopefully limping our way back to normalcy.
Oh wait. That's still not all of it. We were told to repeat Ayaan's x-ray again to see if the infection had cleared up. Well, he's still coughing and the x-ray still doesn't look clear in spite of a 10-day dose of antibiotics. So now we have been prescribed some further tests to investigate the issue.
Yeah, I think that covers it all (except Tarana's mild diarrhoea thanks to the cocktail of meds she is imbibing directly and through my breast milk). At least for now but who knows what tomorrow shall bring - along with Ayaan's test results amongst other things...