Monday, July 18, 2011

Crafty beginnings

I have never been much into doing crafts with Ayaan. Books have always been the cornerstone of our quality time together. But at six, he's now starting to read on his own more and more and though there is a part of me that wants to grab the book out of his hands and insist on reading it to him, I am thrilled that his love for books goes beyond cuddling up to me and being read too.


But he won't read all the time and there are other times where his energies need to be channelised. Otherwise crazy things start to happen - like last weekend, when he managed to get hold of the maid's talcum powder and sprinkle it all over the kitchen floor, sink and freshly washed dishes. Also, I am fed up of having a constant stream of his pals running through the house at all odd hours of the day, so I have designated Tarana's afternoon nap time as a sort of an activity hour for just the two of us. On some days, we just lie next to each other and read our individual books. But on other days, he's way too keyed up after school to settle down to something so low on energy. So on those days, I rack my brain to come up with stuff we can do together.

I have been reading some mommy craft blogs and mostly feeling over-awed by the ability and willingness of these moms to create super-fancy stuff with their kids. My objectives have been somewhat less grand - I want to do stuff that both of us will enjoy and that will be within the range of Ayaan's skills (and mine).

If you promise not to laugh, I'll show you some of things we did over the last couple of weeks.

One of the first activities I designed for him was a scavenger hunt. I didn't want to make it too hard since he is blessed with the frustration tolerance of a wounded tiger but I also didn't want to make it too easy. So this is what I came up with:


His answers were actually quite fascinating and very different from what seemed obvious to me. For things that can stretch, he came up with arms because we stretch them when we wake up. And despite having a clock and a measuring tape lying within his line of sigh, he took a long time to find something with numbers of it and finally settled on Tarana's counting book lying upstairs in their room. It was surprisingly fun and we managed to get through it without him losing his cool.

Then I came across these adorable, and eminently doable flower girls. We broke this up into two separate activities. On day one, we went around our complex, scavenging for all the fallen leaves and flowers and twigs we could find. On the second day, we used them to put together these artworks. Mine is a girl in a garden with the sun shining in the sky (at this point, I'd like to remind you of your promise not to laugh):


Ayaan's is supposed to be a setting (orange) sun and a tree with a ladybird sitting on one of the branches:

The one below was Ayaan's idea. He found this rock when we were out scavenging and he wanted to paint it with all the colours in his paintbox, even mixing some to make new colours. The result: my new paperweight.


So that is what we have been up to. We are now in the process of making a papier mache stick puppet. I was hoping to make something pretty like a butterfly but the son had plans of his own and we have made a mushroom that is waiting to be painted. Expect to see it if it is even vaguely presentable :)

26 comments:

  1. wonderful!!! i dont have too much patience for craft, and most of my activity with samhith has to do with reading too, but the scavenger hunt seems like a good idea, even for his age! and i love the flower dolls! the ladybird on the tree is absolutely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flower dolls are a wonderful idea. I am going to send it to my sis..

    And the scavenger hunt is fun isn't it? I have done it as an outdoor game for the older girls party and it always a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet - and something doable that we can all aspire to copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Wow! and if this is not crafty, dear, what is??? of course we cant compare ourselves to the super duper talented crafty mommies out there in the blogosphere..but being a non crafty person I am IMPRESSED..I loved that first activity too *Salutes Ro and Ayaan*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the ideas, I am going to try it with my kids. I really liked the scavenger hunt idea as it will keep them on their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time commenter, but a regular reader...

    Thats so very cool. I like all the arty-crafty things you did with Ayaan. I think i wl give it a try at my end with my 5 y.o

    Batul

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are some great ideas there ..i try to do some simple crafy things with my son but he looks least interested ...can try with these now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... crafty ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super super idea.. the scavenger hunt. And the crafts were great too. My kids keep collecteing all this stuff but doesn't know what to do with it.. great idea to make something out of it. This is a must try for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I loved the idea of scavenger hunt and the sheet looks so neat and crafty too!

    I was thinking of the remote for the numbers on it :-)You should tell what else he picked up for the other stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you make the sheet for the scavenger hunt!! It looks very pro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. they are cute - really!
    the painted stone actually looks kind of classy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely idea about the scavenger hunt. I am going to borrow it and do it with Karan this weekend. Here's one idea from my end for a craft. Trace the palms of all 4 members in your family, cut out and decorate. I did this with Karan last weekend (along with 4 ginger bread men cut out from paper) and hung in on our bedroom door. Both my kids love looking at it and Kavya loves to identify the person to which the hand belongs. Will try and put up a picture of the 2 crafts on my blog sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. The dry leaves craft work was so cute! I loved the rock painting idea, and cant wait to see the mushroom...

    The scavenger hunt is something I have never heard of (sounds like Simon says, or I spy). It's a brilliant idea. I am definitely going to do a cut and paste. Sounds so much fun, even for my 2.5 yr old.

    Aryan is as much into books and reading as Ayaan is, and I miss reading to him too. We cut strips of chartpaper and made some animal faces and puppets at one end and made bookmarks for him. He loves them. Try them next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. pretty good!

    And u have been tagged

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the scavenger hunt! I'm going to borrow it freely :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome ideas....must try the scavenger hunt with my kids...and the flower girl and ladybug on the branch are too good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ro, the scavenger hunt is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The scavenger hunt is cool. Will try with my kid sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys are too kind. Thanks for your compliments and encouraging words for what I know are my very unartistic craft attempts :)

    [RS] The rest of the things were pretty obvious. Those were the ones that stood out because they show kids' brains work differently sometimes.

    [Anita] Yes. This is the use my PowerPoint skills are put to these days. Ha ha.

    [Lawyeramma] The handprint things sounds cool. We have done stuff like that before but never cut and hung it up. Do share the pics.

    [Sai] Ooh bookmarks. Good idea, especially since I am hoping to get him started on chapter books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ro - suddenly you will have hundreds of moms doing scavenger hunts with their kids! :) Including me! It sounds like perfect fun for our summer holidays spent playing most of the time. Painting the rock sounds cool as well. I should do that too. Wow Ro - new craft mom status for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, share your email address with me, will send you some photos of what we made. You can try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was lovely Ro! I didn't know you are so creative :) Thanks for the ideas, I hope to use them next yr when I get to be with Pari. Till then, come up with some more and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Rohini.. being a completely non-craft, non-patient(!) person myself, I appreciate even more your efforts to keep Ayaan occupied! Will definitely copy your scavenger hunt for one of my afternoons - I'm sure my daughter will be enthralled !! Thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a 1 month old.. and this is what my mommyhood dreams are made.. fun crafty afternoons and being reading buddies with him.
    Thanks for the ideas and inspiration... will bookmark for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great ideas there Ro. Will surely do the scavenger hunt with my kids ..we did one for my husband on his b'day recently and i am sure the kids will be super thrilled to do their own :)

    ReplyDelete