Thursday, July 28, 2011

How Not To Potty Train a Toddler

This post will pretty much write itself if I share two of my tweets from last week.

First this:
And then two days later, this:
Yes, you may now join the dots and fall off your chairs laughing while I mourn the loss of my third limb, my precious iPhone. If you are particularly mean, like some folks on iPhone forums, you may start framing a preachy comment on the inadvisability of taking one's phone to the loo. 

Now for the gory details. I have had the Koi Pond app on my phone for the longest - Ayaan used to love it when he was younger and it was a surefire way to keep him busy at the doctor's office. For those who don't know it, it is a simple app with fishes floating on the screen - you can feed the fish by shaking the phone or scare them away by touching them. A few days ago, I introduced it to Tarana during potty time and soon discovered that the watery visuals and sounds had an almost magical effect on her bladder and she demanded the 'fishie game' ever time she deigned to oblige me by sitting on the throne. Since she was on the baby seat, there seemed very little space or chance of her being able to drop it into the toilet bowl, or so I thought. So one fine day, I left the loo for a measly 30 seconds only to hear a splashing sound and rushed back in to find that the seemingly impossible had happened. 

Without any queasiness whatsoever, born out of six years of being a mother and all that that entails in terms of 'bathroom duties', I quickly fished it out. I switched it off, ran it under the tap, applied some sanitiser and wiped it down. Then I went online. It turns out that there are a lot of kindred souls whose phones have suffered similar fates. There was some interesting remedies, like one that involved baking the phone in an oven at a low temperature for 8 hours. I decided to go for a less extreme step that many seemed to swear by. It involved removing the SIM tray, wiping out all cavities with a earbud and then packing the phone away for a fortnight in a bag filled with rice. Yes, it sounds weird but at this point, I don't have much to lose and the rice supposedly helps draw out all the moisture. It's just been 3 days so it remains to be seen if it actually works.

So there you have it. My public service announcement for the month. DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE AS A TOILET TRAINING DEVICE. I think I should change my blog tagline to 'Mama Says So. Making Mistakes So You Don't Have To'.

20 comments:

  1. ROFL Rohini.. you manage to put across so humorously what I probably would have brought the house down for :).. all the best for it to work ok when you put it together again!

    And hey, you've been tagged:
    http://apster.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-i-read-ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tsk tsk, Spidey (NOT) :)

    Rice is perfectly normal idea, why ever not. Haven't you seen a grain or two of rice in the salt cellar in restaurants?

    The word verification is 'aoequ' which could have been the gurgle your iPhone made as it sank. *starts to run away from Ro*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ro! Poor thing - can imagine the shock you must have had when you saw it in the water. Damn! I hope it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad Rohini :-( Hope it works soon...

    Had the same experience with my mobile though not an iPhone - I just removed the battery and the SIM and kept it out to dry in the sun for 2 days and it worked :-D Try...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's necessary to leave the phone for a fortnight. Didn't see such a long time period in the article I read. Besides, you need to put just the battery covered in rice. You could also use the blow dryer, on a cool setting, on the insides of the phone, before putting the battery back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rohini, I am glad you do not use a humor app from the phone :) and your own humor is helping you get out of this situation. *ducks*

    keep us posted on the phone's toilet training progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh! That was a bad one! Your situation with a phone that may or may not work, and Tarana's abrupt collapse of potty training. While I feel bad for what happened, I cant deny that I had a good laugh.... You are so funny!

    My 2 month old Nokia almost took a trip on the porcelain express once. (Finding Nemo....) But I quickly retrieved it, opened it up fully and used the hot blast of the hair dryer for a bit and then left it open for a day. It started working again when I booted..

    Over time, though, it started behaving weird, and I always knew why.... thankfully when I took it for an exchange/repair, the guy told me "baarish me bheeg gaya, madam!".....

    Anyway, keep us posted on status of both...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I was going to suggest the packing in rice technique...also, the next time should something like this happen *Gulp*, clean it with a vacuum cleaner which will pull the water out instead of letting it go into the tiny crevices and then disassemble and pack it in rice/bread crumbs. I tried this with my car keys and it worked like a charm. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:02 pm

    make sure you dont eat that rice
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not an iPhone... but I know a nokia which was revived by incessant drying with a hair dryer.

    Good luck.

    PS: Thanks for that lesson... will not try it during T's toilet training ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really sorry Ro, but I couldn't help laughing at this one. You know whats worse, I am still smiling! Good luck with the phone, I hope the rice trick works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol lol lol n I am yet to start potty training.. stowing my Iphone away first! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha cute. (although I'm sure it wasn't exciting for you!) Impressive that you have started potty training Tarana. I am still being lazy about getting Kavya to sit on the potty. Whenever I do, I blow bubbles for her, which is great distraction and makes her sit for a fairly long time...unfortunately she hardly ever does the job there....and the saddest part is that she used to be pretty obliging when I used to pot her on the pot when she was about 6 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I am new to your blog and it looks very interesting. As someone who has lost 2 Iphones to water related incidents and managed to resuscitate 1 of them, I can advise you to take it to one of those guys who jailbreak iphones they managed to revive it although you lose all data. And yes I have again lost my iphone to a dalia related incident and stuck with an ancient nokia now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. [Aparna] I surprised myself with how zen I was about the whole thing. I usually have meltdowns for less :)

    [Sue] *throws a shoe*

    [Noon] Three days to go. Fingers crossed.

    [RS/ HGM] The battery in the iPhone cannot be removed. Has to be sent to the service centre.

    [AA_Mom] *throws the other shoe*

    [Sai] A lot of people seem to have drowned their phones. I feel better now :)

    [Shobana] Thanks for the tip. Now I hope I never have to use it!

    [Anon] Er...yes :p

    [Aathira] That was a very expensive (for me) lesson (for you) :)

    [Violet] I don't blame you. If it happened to anyone else, I'd be laughing too! :p

    [Sirisha] Good idea!

    [Lawyeramma] 'Started' being the operative word. It's still pretty hit and miss.

    [Swapna] Will try that if it does not switch on. Thanks. You probably need to get a iPhone insurance plan before you get another one or wait till they come up with a waterproof one :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. [Aparna] I surprised myself with how zen I was about the whole thing. I usually have meltdowns for less :)

    [Sue] *throws a shoe*

    [Noon] Three days to go. Fingers crossed.

    [RS/ HGM] The battery in the iPhone cannot be removed. Has to be sent to the service centre.

    [AA_Mom] *throws the other shoe*

    [Sai] A lot of people seem to have drowned their phones. I feel better now :)

    [Shobana] Thanks for the tip. Now I hope I never have to use it!

    [Anon] Er...yes :p

    [Aathira] That was a very expensive (for me) lesson (for you) :)

    [Violet] I don't blame you. If it happened to anyone else, I'd be laughing too! :p

    [Sirisha] Good idea!

    [Lawyeramma] 'Started' being the operative word. It's still pretty hit and miss.

    [Swapna] Will try that if it does not switch on. Thanks. You probably need to get a iPhone insurance plan before you get another one or wait till they come up with a waterproof one :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rice actually worked for me once!

    it's a good desiccant, silica gel is better, if you have it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ro, did it work? Motherhood makes one a saint, case in point is you :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete