Saturday, December 08, 2012

Blast from the Past

Part of this Marathon Blogger challenge is a weekly themed blogging challenge. And thank goodness for it, for I am fresh out of ideas for a blog post today. The theme for this week is 'Blast from the Past' and the idea is to share a picture from the past and a memory associated with it.


Since I have been going back and forth with this 'going back to work' business in my last few posts, I thought this was just the right photograph to share.


This is a picture taken when Ayaan was just short of three. I had just walked in the door after a long day at work and a joyful Ayaan had leapt into my arms to greet me. This used to pretty much be a daily thing. The minute I walked in, I would have the heart-melting pleasure of seeing his little face light up as he ran headlong into me. If I had to pick the best thing about being a working mom, this moment would be it.

It is different now. Having me around is something that the kids pretty much take for granted, especially Tarana who has never known any different. On weekends, if I am out when she wakes up from her nap, she is grumpy as hell with Jai and I come back to a child who needs to be soothed out of an ongoing (or impending) meltdown. And if she is in a good mood when I return, I get nothing more than a perfunctory greeting. Ayaan, if I am lucky, will look up from his book to give me a quick smile. Heck, Angel is way more excited to see me! Quite a comedown from the royal welcomes of the past.

But this picture also says something more than just that. Look closer and you'll see that Ayaan is dressed in his night suit. A quick look at the timestamp on the photo tells me that it was taken at 8.49 p.m. Ten minutes before his daily bedtime.

Now, this was not a daily or even a regular occurrence. On most days, I was back in time to eat dinner with him and spend at least a couple of hours with him before bedtime. But there were days like this and other days when I didn't see him at all because I came home after he was in bed or was traveling. It's not that I think that these days harmed him in any way - they did not and of that I am sure. But I did carry around a lot of guilt because of them.

So yeah, I miss the welcomes. The guilt, not so much. 

7 comments:

  1. a cute stroll down the memory lane. Cheer up. Life of mixture of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Lovely pic!
    2. You look like a college kid in the pic.
    3. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I checked college kids don't have salt-n-pepper locks on their heads :op

      Delete
    2. Oh the S&P is to add personality - I ooze personality from every pore don't I?!

      Delete
    3. Of course you do! One salon woman actually asked me if I had streaked it to look like this. Is that a thing now, I wonder? Then we are trendier than we think :)

      Delete
  3. Awww... so cute.... all the more reason for you to make up your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you that those moments are the best ones i.e. when your child charges into you :)

    The picture is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete