Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas on the Cheap

Jai is not the easiest person to buy a gift for. He is not into gadgets, watches or fashion, is happy with his single bottle of Hugo Boss cologne which is replaced when running low and already has a huge pile of unread books on his bedside table. So, when racking my brains about what to gift him this Christmas produced no useful results, I decided to get creative.

One of the gift ideas that I have always considered but never got down to doing has been coupons. Given that these were desperate times (Christmas eve and still no gift ideas in sight), I decided to create some fun coupons for him.

Having no design skills whatsoever, I turned to Google Baba for some answers and found quite a few template options. I finally went with something I downloaded from a site called The Craft Cafe.

Once I had the coupon template, I pasted it in Powerpoint and then added text I had decided on - 20 coupons in all. Here's a sample page:


What do you think? I think they are pretty cool for something that didn't cost me a penny. In fact, I think the coupons, which offer my time and effort, are a far better gift than anything material, no? :-p

Jai was pretty thrilled with them and says he is planning to redeem each and every one of them sooner rather than later :-)

16 comments:

  1. Brill idea - far better than any 'thing' :) Am going to copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to sent you my template - then you can just edit the text :-)

      Delete
  2. This is so creative and so much fun!!! I am sending this link to Deepak....... lets see if he takes the hint!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I like that. Sending it to the spouse instead of getting inspired yourself.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:43 pm

    LOVED 'em! :-D JLT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:14 pm

    Brilliant!! I like the " no questions asked" part....
    Jus a small request Ro, plz post a list of the blogs participating in this marathon...-Mini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mini, there are 67 members on the Marathon Bloggers group - way too many to list and link up to. But you can look the group up on Facebook - it is a closed group but does allow you to see the names of members.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:48 pm

      Will do tht...thanks Rohini

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:52 pm

      Saw the grp...but it's not showing the members...:-( but it's fyn...67 is a big number to post links of...

      Delete
  5. Wow! I love the idea but like Sai , I too want to send this to the spouse..

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2013 Prediction - he will use all of them up before Jan 31st :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 2013 Prediction - He will use them up by Jan 5th :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:26 pm

    Yeah, I kind of agree, knowing Jai, he gonna use them within the 1st week of getting them

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they're brilliant! What a terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete