Friday, December 14, 2012

Down with Sweatpants!

When I decided to take an extended break and flirt with stay-at-home motherhood, I was willing to embrace most of the changes that this would bring into my life and my lifestyle. But the one thing I vowed to never succumb to was the ubiquitous sweatpants that so many mothers seem to sport when out and about with their kids.

In my world, sweatpants can only be classified into two categories - exercise garb and sleepwear. I do not see them as acceptable attire for spending one's entire day in, even if one's only planned outing for that day is the school pick-up. That, in my view, is just one step away from spending all day in your PJs or dropping your kids to school whilst still in your nightwear. In my personal opinion, it is acceptable to be seen in public in sweatpants only if you:

  • Are on your way to the gym 
  • Are on your way back from the gym
  • Were forced to leave home in a hurry

So no, considering that I have yet to initiate any organised fitness regimen of any kind, you are unlikely to catch me in sweatpants outside the comfort of my own home.

In fact, I don't wear sweatpants at home either. Once I pack the kids off to school, I head straight to the shower and then dress for the day. While what I put on may not classify as high fashion, it can see me through everything from a trip to the supermarket to coffee with a friend.

On most days, if you walk into my house unannounced, you will find me in jeans and a nice (read non-ratty) tee. I also wear skirts pretty often, depending on how many days it has been since my last waxing appointment.

Now, as those of you who know me will vouch, I am no diehard fashionista. I don't colour my hair. Only a daily basis, I use no absolutely no make-up and on special occasions, I deign to apply lipstick and kaajal but that is it. I wear mostly high street brands but just go with stuff that feels comfortable and looks good with little thought to the colours and trends of the season. I own all of three handbags and forget to wear earrings most days.

But we all draw the line somewhere. And for me, that line is at sweatpants.

9 comments:

  1. Howdy Ro - I agree with the nightie drop off thing - that is something I would not do myself. I see Aunties here with nighties and coats on top going for a walk sometimes and I feel kind of bad to see that. It's their choice but still feels weird. And sweats - I don't do it - but some people wear nice open bottom pants which looks nice - and good for pick up from school etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, they don't even bother with coats. Just a dupatta to protect their modesty!

      Delete
  2. Rohini...... this sounds exactly like my wardrobe and dresser.... Thanks to a 4 yr old who begs to differ when it comes to earrings, I have started sporting some coloured ones instead of my boring single gold stud.... which I hate anyway!!! My mother perpetually calls me "moolli kai kazhuthu", if you know what that means....

    To add to your list, am going to say, a pair of Crocs, Fitflops and two different shades of good pair of heels....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does "moolli kai kazhuthu" mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means being married, yet not sporting your mangalsutra and bangles.......

      Delete
  4. Errr...I think I am someone whom you can name sloppy...seriously Ro? jeans at home..you are too good...I am always in sweatpants at home...often with a tattered T shirt *shamefaced*

    and of course the days I drop R to school, I dont dress in sweat pants...but the days I drop R to school are too few :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No, yaar. I pick up T every day so there is never a day when I am not stepping out for something or the other. And I can't be bothered to keep changing in and out of sweatpants.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same when I see people in sweatpants outside the house, but I do like the comfort of wearing them at home - this will mostly be with a kurti on top so i'm semi-relaxed you might say ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wear them at home too but the effort of changing every time I step out is not worth it.

      Delete