Saturday, December 22, 2012

Saturday Theme Post: My Bucket List

We go on our first long road trip with the kids tomorrow and the butterflies in my stomach are not conducive to writing a post about what one wants to do before one kicks the bucket, but here goes anyway:

  1. Take the kids on at least one fantastic holiday every year till they fly the nest and expose them to some of the great natural beauty and historical sites, both in India and abroad.
  2. Take a holiday, watch a movie and eat a meal in a restaurant all by myself and feel totally comfortable doing it.
  3. Figure out my niche in the 'kids vs career' clash and find a balance between guilt and non-parental achievement.
  4. Throw one big dinner party (20 guests or more) with delicious food cooked by your truly from scratch.
  5. Live for at least one week (not counting vacations) without a meal plan, grocery list and to-do list, just to know that I can do it.
  6. Learn how to compost and grow a herb garden in my balcony.
  7. Buy a bicycle and cycle instead of driving when I can.
  8. Make a list of 100 books I want to read before I die and actually read them before I die.
I am sure there are more. But I have to get up in 6 hours and then drive for 8 hours so I am going to stop now.

See you guys on the other side of our journey.

13 comments:

  1. Aha! Nice list. Composting is easy peasy. Check out www.dailydump.com, you can start off there.
    And work life balance will never be satisfactory at all. You'll have some regrets. So just stay good as long as its working fine.
    And have a great trip.. I'm sure you and the kid will have a great time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Thanks for the composting link. Do you compost?

      Delete
  2. Happy Driving. Hope to see ya all here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent done an independent dinner either.. I have problems setting the menu, forget about the actual cooking!I can cycle but the roads of Delhi arent the safest, so I cant use a cycle to get around.I am ok eating a meal alone, not ok watching a movie alone though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can set the menu just fine. It's the idea of cooking for anyone but my family (who I can bully into eating the results) still freaks me out.

      Delete
  4. All the best for the journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list Rohini, I don't see myself blogging at all before, during or maybe even after a drive, so I think it's great you could put this down!! All the best for all your wishes becoming reality soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put that down to my task completion OCD. I am seriously drooping right now post-drive but determined to get a post out today as well :-)

      Delete
  6. Hey have a safe trip. Interesting list. Loved 2 and 4 and 5 too... would've been on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 would be on my list. Congratulations on such a huge feat. I think we all underestimate our kids :) Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 - I want to know if I will survive that one too......

    Good list though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kavita8:37 am

    I was reading a blog and this entry reminded me of enty no 6 on your bucket list. It may not be of much help, but it's interesting.

    http://nothingbutbonfires.com/2011/03/how-plant-herb-garden-18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the link.

      Delete