Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Birthday Cake

With the extended blogging hiatus I have been on, I have missed out on recording so many special moments and milestones in the kids' lives and mine. One such occasion was Ayaan's 7th birthday.

His birthday falls bang in the middle of the summer vacation and consequently, we are usually never at home. This year, May found us in London, visiting my brother. This was Ayaan's second trip to London and even though he was only three years old the last time, he had some pretty strong (and happy) memories - especially of his visits to Hyde Park. (I blogged about our previous London trip here, here and here)

When I asked him how he wanted to celebrate his birthday, he immediately piped up with the suggestion that we have a picnic in Hyde Park on the day. He also had very specific ideas about his birthday cake. Before we left, he had managed to get his hands on this book called London Unlocked: A Guide Book for Kids from Treasure House. (As an aside, if your kid is of reading age and you are planning a trip to London. I highly recommend you get your hands on this book - both Ayaan and I loved it.) One of the places highlighted in the book is The Hummingbird Bakery, famous for their cupcakes. They also do cakes and Ayaan wanted his birthday cake from there.

Ordering a cake from them is no simple affair though. We had to call head for an appointment and land up at their Spitalfields brands for a consultation. We were met by enthusiastic young women who happily agreed to everything Ayaan said he wanted on the cake (not surprisingly, since I eventually got charged a bomb for each of those elements). What Ayaan wanted was a 'London cake' with:
  1. The Big Ben
  2. The London Eye
  3. The River Thames
  4. A boy
  5. A tree
  6. Some buildings
  7. A road
  8. A Double Decker bus
  9. Lots of sprinkles
And this is what he got: (the cake designer told me it was the most fun they had had with a cake in a while)

To say they met Ayaan's very exacting brief would be an understatement. And the look on his face when we opened the box was worth every penny I paid for it. 

The picnic itself was a matter of great tension given that weather was chilly, with a chance of rain. We all showed up at Hyde Park in our best woolies and picnicked away merrily, freezing winds notwithstanding. Thankfully, the rain held off. Thank you for your rare and fortuitous co-operation, London weather.

In attendance were family and friends who live in the city, including Jai's sister (Ayaan's favorite aunt). There was only one other kid (a friend's daughter) but the three of them had a great time feeding the ducks and generally pottering around. All in all, the sun (the metaphorical one, since the real one stayed hidden behind ominous-looking grey clouds) set on a successful birthday picnic and a very happy and content birthday boy.

Here's another picture from the day: my Baby Godzilla devouring the Double Decker Bus off the cake.

31 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 pm

    Welcome back Rohini ....Love all your recent posts ...thanks to your no phone days right????
    Loved the cake ....and Wow to Ayaan's imagination and creativity ...
    Love
    Anamika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone is back. Joined a group called Marathon Bloggers on Facebook and have committed to posting daily through December

      Delete
  2. What an awesome cake, and such happy birthday memories! I for one, remember some of my kiddie birthday parties very distinctly, and Im sure Ayaan will cherish this one for many years to come..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he will. Especially the cake.

      Delete
  3. Thats an awesome cake!!!
    I hope you got some great pictures of Ayaan..right at the moment that he saw the cake for the first time..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not when he saw it for the first time because he wanted to look as soon as they delivered it - no time to grab the camera.

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant idea! Wish we could see Ayaan's happy face pictures though!!!

    You paying a bomb for the cake, was totally worth it, looks like!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant cake! And what a b'day memory Ayaan will have. Did the cake taste as yummy as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty yummy. Especially the cake inside. The icing not so much but that was a personal preference. The kids loved it, icing and all as evidenced by Tarana devouring the bus

      Delete
  6. Dunno where my comment escaped! Lovely lovely memories for Ayaan :) did the cake taste as good as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is one awesome cake (though I am not particularly a big fan of fondant) and they have everything he asked for on the cake and it fits so well :) And knowing London weather you were really lucky!! Loved the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you on fondant - don't like it much. I was worried the cake would look over-crowded but they did a pretty good job of squeezing everything in and making it look good.

      Delete
  8. Ro!! Warmest birthday wishes to Ayaan! These kids are growing up so fast! What is his latest thing? Planes? Moved on?
    What a lovely cake! Makes me want to be a kid looking at that cake!
    And that pic of Godzilla devouring the bus - well said - and looks super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you here again!!! Yeah, planes are over. Cooking and baking is the new interest. Says he wants to be a chef when he grows up.

      Delete
    2. I was busy moving houses and somehow every time I logged in I would not find a new post in your site...and just those weeks when I was not looking, you seem to have blogged a lot! I was pleasantly surprised to see posts that I had not read...I always think of you and the kids...esp Ayaan since he is quite the interesting character and I have seen him since he was a baby...I meant to write to you but never got around to. You look fab in that pic btw. Young/happy mom look!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous1:23 pm

    I am not much of the “aww” person, but this is an “aww” post. I love his specifications and the cake does look lovely. Most importantly I know you have only 24 hrs, but you have to write more.

    -Sarvani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, cannot keep up the daily frequency beyond December but definitely plan to blog regularly.

      Delete
  10. That cake is simply awesome re!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome cake man! No wonder the baking folks said they had fun!

    I'd always trek to Kingsbury from from house in St Johns Wood - thankfully Jubilee Line only, to this bakery which made amazing eggless cakes. 4 birthdays = 4 annual treks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was quite a trek from my brother's place, required changing lines and all. The things we do for our kids!

      Delete
  12. Wow Ro!! Beautiful.

    And noon- Hi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was baker hunting for the girl. My first reaction was to get the baker's number from you! London bakers...can't do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah. Slight logistical problem :p

      Delete
  14. Awesome, and you make me miss London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd say that.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Comment moderation is on. So your comments will not appear immediately, only after I approve them.

      Delete
    2. No there was some other problem - at my end. Apologies for inundating you with so many comments - see how much I miss the place ;)

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete