Wednesday, January 09, 2013

In Memoriam: Buddy

Yesterday was not a good day. We got news that Buddy passed away. He had been successfully recovering from a virulent urinary tract infection that had plagued him for the last month or so, but yesterday, his heart suddenly gave way and he collapsed. (For those of you who haven't been reading this blog for a long time, Buddy and Beanz were two miniature dachshunds who came to us a couple of years before Ayaan was born. They later went to live with my mother.)

My first memory of Buddy is from when I went to pick him up from the breeder's place in Ajmer. I was just sitting down when a red-haired bundle of energy came charging into the room, bounded up to me and put his front paws up on my thigh. He tried to clamber on but his diminutive stature failed him and he was soon stranded mid-air - his front paws still on my leg, his back paws hanging. That was Buddy in a nutshell. If there was food or affection to be had, he'd rush in regardless of whether his innate abilities would support him in the situation.


He was a beautiful dog. He had a gorgeous reddish-brown coat that looked especially stunning when he was soaking up the sun, which happened to be one of his favourite pastimes. Even my vet in Mumbai never failed to mention his lovely colour. As he grew older, his appetite, combined with his ability to stare down the most hardened soul into feeding him some scraps, ensured that he lost the lean look he has in this early picture but his roly-poly avatar only served to make him more adorable than before.


Both he and Beanz were quick to settle down in my mother's house in Jaipur but Buddy is the one who really came into his element. Living up to his name, he charmed and befriended everyone who came his way - the maids, the gardener, the driver - they all fell prey to his charm and put aside at least some time to give him the loving pats he craved. My mother tells me the current gardener would first spend some quality time petting him every morning before he got on with his duties for the day.

He was a beggar by heart. It was unthinkable that any human being in the house should get to eat anything without sharing at least part of the bounty with him. He would stare, whine and even bark to get their attention. His favourite human foods were makhana and papad, though he was game for pretty much anything that came out of a human's plate - his own food, not so much. Here's a really old picture of Buddy and Beanz begging for food.


But for all his eagerness for food and love, he was an old lazy bones at heart. As I look through all the pictures I have of him, he is lying flat on a bed, sofa or mat in a majority of them. This one is pretty typical, not to mention cute.


Much before we got Angel, my kids got to practice on Buddy. Beanz is not the most child-friendly dog and he would snap at them if they got too near. But Buddy meekly tolerated their attentions, often with a pained expression on his face. We often joked that he bore a faintly traumatised look by the end of our visit. If you think I might be exaggerating, here's a picture of a long-suffering Buddy decked up by Ayaan using Tarana's bonnet and a few well-placed rose petals. 


He didn't have much of a thing for chew toys but he had this well-worn, much-loved sheet that he liked to play with. Every night, he would clamber on to the bed with it and expect a rambunctious game of tug of war. Ayaan was more than happy to oblige.


One of my big regrets is that I don't have many photographs of Tarana with Buddy. I did have a few pictures from my last couple of visits to Jaipur, along with an adorable video of the two of them playing, but I lost them all when I dropped my iPhone recently. All I can find is this disappointing picture from two years ago.


Buddy lived with us for just two short years and spend eight years, the vast majority of his life, with my mother. So obviously, she is far more upset that I am but I have walked around with a weight on my heart since I heard the news yesterday. My mother was in Hyderabad when it happened and she left last night to go back to Jaipur to complete his last rites, so I feel doubly bereft. Mostly, I dread the thought of going to Jaipur and walking into a Buddy-less house.

Goodbye, Buddy. You have, and will always have, a special place in my heart. You will be missed.

35 comments:

  1. RIP, good old Buddy. Such a darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dips. He really was quite a darling.

      Delete
  2. I can only imagine. I can't bear to go home to a Lisa-less home myself. Hugs babe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs have a way of clambering into every heart however a short period of time you have actually spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. So many of my friends who only interacted with him briefly when he was with us in Mumbai have responded on my FB ink to this post.

      Delete
  4. Ro so sorry to hear this.Buddy was the sweetest gentlest dog. God bless him. How did you break the news to Ayaan? He will be heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He cried a bit but then his curiosity got the better of him and he wanted to know what happened, what was done with his body, and some detailed questions on the mortality of dogs.

      Delete
  5. It's so difficult to bear the loss of loved ones. Especially the ones who love us unconditionally. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry to hear this Ro. Buddy looks so adorable...his eyes so affectionate. Touching.
    Very nice tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noon. Your little parcel was a nice bright spot in our day yesterday.

      Delete
  7. Losing our pets is so difficult. My heart goes out to you.
    An Arkies Musings



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is hard. Only people who love dogs/ animals themselves get it.

      Delete
  8. Good vibes your way! Can so so understand. He looks really friendly in the pictures--unlike what many daschunds can be like--especially with the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he wasn't very dacshund-like in temperament. :-)

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:07 pm

    :-( oh no! Hugs, Ro! As the days go by, and I look at 9 yr old Trinity, more and more I dread the thought that one day soon, she'll have to go.. :-( God bless li'l Buddy's soul.
    JLT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs. Hope the day is as far as can possibly be.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous1:32 am

    O Ro! I feel really sad to hear this. Remember him from Mumbai! Such an affectionate chap he used to be. Though I didnt spend so much time with him, I somehow feel really sad to hear that he died - have such vivid memories of him. Will always remember him. Ayesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what most people remember about him - his friendliness :-)

      Delete
  11. I don't think that I have ever commented here but I feel for U guys. The loss of a pet is unbearble... RIP buddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  12. oh! thats so sad

    he seemed to be such a wonderful dog with lovely eyes :)

    My friend's mom was so so upset for a long time when they lost their labrador which they had for 10 years :(

    I guess, eventually pets do become family members na?

    That photo of Ayaan with him is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. Especially with my mom, who has always treated her dogs almost like her kids :-)

      Delete
  13. Anonymous3:00 pm

    I cried buckets jus now reading this. I had to go hug my madcap of a border collie who's nearing that age when parents of dogs start getting worried. Buddy was indeed adorable. Sweet and masti all in one neat package. She was my practice baby and the love I lavished on her and continue to do I perhaps haven't on my human baby! Ofcourse the way I look at it is he also has his Dad who lavishes attention on him and isn't much of a dog person so she does need me to balance it out a bit:-)

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, hugs. Madcap dogs are the best. What's your dog's name?

      Delete
  14. Loved reading this Rohini, what a sweet tribute. I have never had dogs, but I know how much a part of family they become. Hugs to you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is such a handsome boy! Sorry to hear about his passing. Hope you see him in Angel and tide through the days. And hope your mom sees him in Beanz and finds solace.

    Good luck and may Buddy rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear this :( I had a dog from birth - 12 years, the day he passed away, my mom literally had to take my brother and me away to visit relatives in another city to recover :( I still miss that fellow sometimes and feel bad that I cannot have a dog in my current house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean. Hope you can have a dog some day. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. RIP Buddy . Such a moving post Ro . Reminded me of when Sammy our adorable Tibetan spaniel passed away . He was an irascible old mutt by the time Srin was born but the love and tolerance he had for the wicked toddler was awesome . Glad that A and T will have happy memories of their buddy , A specifically .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammy sounds adorable. The irascible ones are the best - with the most personality.

      Delete
  18. [Sai/ Aparna/OJ] Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:42 pm

    So sorry to hear about Buddy. Losing a pet is the worst thing in the world :( they love unconditionally ...Buddy is hopefully in a better place..

    ReplyDelete