Friday, January 04, 2013

Tarana's Birthday Party

In the spirit of fairness and sibling equality, I am doing a catch-up post on Tarana's birthday party in 2012. (I wrote about Ayaan's birthday party here).

Tarana turned three in October and I was in two minds about having a birthday party, thinking she wasn't old enough to really want or enjoy one. But Ayaan had other ideas and he really wanted to celebrate it, so I agreed.

I am not a big fan of big birthday parties. I am also not a big fan of outsourced birthday parties. Hence, it was a no-brainer that we settled for a small gathering of kids and their parents at home.

The invitee list was short and sweet. Four kids and as many adults. It wasn't planned as such but it ended up being a DIY party of sorts. Ayaan said he wanted to make the birthday banner himself, so that is just what he did. I got the box of streamers out just as the other kids arrived and then let them have a field day with the streamers. The effect was totally haphazard and random but I wasn't hoping to win any prizes for decor and it kept six kids very busy for the best part of an hour, so I am not complaining.


Once they were done with the streamers, we moved on to the food which again required the kids to be involved. The main course was pizza. We had arranged the various toppings on the table and each kid got to assemble his or her own pizza. Here's one waiting for its turn in the oven:


No birthday party is complete without a cake and Ayaan insisted we do this at home as well. So I baked some chocolate cake and iced it and Ayaan decorated it.


It wasn't the best cake I have baked since I left it in the oven for a little longer than I should have. Also, I didn't particularly care for the cream cheese frosting I iced it with. But the kids seems to like it and that is what counts. (Yes, that is an atta thaali underneath it. I don't have a cake stand and I needed to improvise.)

Other than the streamer sticking and the pizza making, the kids pretty much entertained themselves, allowing the adults to chat up a storm. Overall, fun was had by all especially the birthday girl who ran riot with her friend from her nursery class.

29 comments:

  1. oh I loved loved loved the decoration, the pizza, and that cake looks drool worthy..you have become an ekdum baking Goddess eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you that cake looked a LOT better than it tasted :-)

      Delete
  2. I love such small intimate parties...good fun. The cake looks good, however it tasted! I should try the pizza making exercise at the next bday party,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy party, especially if you have someone who can chop/ prep the toppings for you :-)

      Delete
  3. Home-made unplanned parties are always the best!

    The outsourced over-planned ones on the other hand have a fair chance of getting hijacked and leaving the birthday child cranky.

    Chox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree one hundred per cent!

      Delete
    2. They would leave us immensely cranky as well so we have never done it (hope we can continue to ...).

      Delete
    3. LOL!
      Here the younger one plans the older one's party and vice versa. Now I can put my feet up - my work is done ;)

      Delete
  4. I love that your kids seem to be so hands-on about everything, in a day and age when PSPs and Beyblades and other such automated toys seem to hog all their attention..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be because they are still blissfully (for me) unaware of the existence of Beyblades and PSPs. Let's see how long I can keep it that way

      Delete
  5. Oh what a lovely party.... That's what I would want to do for mine, few friends, bake my cake and my food and eat it too....

    Belated wishes for a Happy Birthday Tarana, have a great year ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a very cool birthday party :) specially loved the idea of DIY food :) so much fun for the kids and much relief for the moms.
    Well I'm still far away from this, since Neil is just 5months and god knows at what age is he going to ask for a birthday party for his friends. But I'm game for it, since in my childhood the one thing I was kicked abt my birthday was the party in evening with my kiddie friends. So I guess these genes would have definitely passed to my baby :))
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :-)

      Ayaan is not one for big birthday parties though, we shall have to wait and see how Tarana feels about them

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely party. Happy New Year!
    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Happy new year to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4:07 pm

    Ahh! Lovely...the pizza looks fully loaded n the cake n atta parat go well togthr...me too jus done wth b'day the 3rd in dec...my motto is- do wat makes the b'day boy/girl happy, n everything else falls in place. loved everything abt ur party- Mini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) That is a good motto.

      Delete
  9. Can you please subscribe me to your blog via email? I don't use RSS readers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just added a 'follow by e-mail tab' at the bottom of the right hand side column. See if you can subscribe via that.

      Delete
  10. Ro - its been lovely reading your prose often. This sounds like a totally fun birthday. Must make the child read it when we plan her bash this year! Except I am not a big expert in anything other than south indian cooking, I think we can improvise on this. Also, what did you do about return gifts - they are a nightmare no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were just 4 kids, which made return presents low on the nightmare aspect. Gave them all books.

      Also, pizza requires no expertise. The base was store-bought as was the pizza sauce. The maid chopped the toppings and grated the cheese. The kids assembled the pizzas. All I had to do is pop them in and out of the oven.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous12:36 pm

    Not to mention what a lovely evening it was for the adults.
    A heads up, I am stealing the do-it-yourself pizza idea for Arvind’s B’day. :-)

    -Sarvani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away (as long as I am invited)

      Delete
  12. You have become quite cook! I had better catch up-both with the blogging and the cooking

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an awesome Blog you have created and seems to be a great evening...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that Tarana had a wonderful birthday party.And thanks for explaining all things in details. it will definitely inspire and help others to arrange kid's birthday party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This birthday party really looks delightful. I thoroughly enjoy your this post. Foods looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete