Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Book Review: Tuki's Grand Salon Chase


As an inveterate people watcher, beauty salons have always held a special fascination for me. All my good intentions to get a big chunk of reading done while in the hair stylist’s chair usually go right out of the window. It is so much more fun to watch the patrons and stylists out of the corner of my mind and make up interesting back-stories for them. It doesn’t help that in the last decade or so, the stylists themselves have gotten so much more interesting.

Parul Sharma’s third book Tuki’s Grand Salon Chase was therefore right up my alley. The book starts off in a bustling hair salon in tony Bandra and we get a peek into the workings of the place with a cast of characters (both the staffers and the clients) that keep things interesting and offer loads of fun insights into what makes them tick.

The book follows the adventures of Tuki, a young girl with big dreams of opening her own salon. Her dreams run into many a speed bump along the way and her adventures take her to Goa and London before she finds love and success back in Mumbai.

I have to say that this is my favorite of Parul’s books yet and I really enjoyed it. All the characters are written really well – they are quirky enough to be fun and interesting but stop short of becoming caricatures or stereotypes, which keeps them real and believable. The story itself is written in a witty, fast-paced and engaging style that kept me turning pages well past my bedtime.

It is peppered with witticisms and insights about beauty, love, people and behaviour that make you go ‘Word!’ or ‘Amen!’ My favourite: ‘A girl with a new haircut. Nothing could touch her.’ Word!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:36 pm

    Hi Rohini, I am speaking on behalf of an ad-agency from Mumbai and we are looking out for quality bloggers and writers to write for an esteemed consumer/ household brand. Kindly share your contact details or email-id, or mail me at tibetian.flags@gmail.com if you are interested to write blogs for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rohini,

    I represent an advertising company based out of Delhi. We work with a leading women's wear brand WforWoman and were looking to send you 2014's calender to make your new year more happier & cheerful. :)

    Request you to connect with me on my email id to confirm your postal details. Will look to hear from you.

    Warm Regards,
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rohini,

    I found your articles very different and inspiring. I would like to get in touch with you for some queries on motherhood. My email id is pooja.balachandran15@gmail.com

    Regards,
    Pooja Balachandran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rohini. Need to connect with you.

    You have a very impressive blog. It was a delight to read the posts. I am associated with a Mum & Bub platform which is gaining immense recognition among the Indian moms community. On our facebook page, every week, we feature some rockstar moms of India and this time we would love to feature you and your blog/entrepreneurial venture.

    I would like to introduce to you Baby Chakra - an online platform that socially curates services and products for moms and children. Our FB presence is at https://www.facebook.com/babychakra and www.BabyChakra.com is launching in a week.

    Please visit our page for details and confirm your participation through message on fb or at shadan@babychakra.com . I will then send you a the 'Being Mommy /Mom INC' feature details and format.

    We would love to hear from you.

    Cheers
    Shadan Syed

    Social Media Lead
    Baby Chakra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 am

    Hello,

    We represent a premium brand in the Mother and Baby Category.

    Our client is meeting all Mom’s who blog, to understand, invite and seek out
    possible alliances with the brand.

    Can we have your contact details [Contact number and place of residence]
    so that we can discuss the same?

    You can contact me on sayyad [at] shahnawaz [dot] in

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, i hope everyone will like your post..

    ReplyDelete