Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tarana Says So


Tarana is getting quite a reputation in the family for her retorts and comebacks. It is not unusual for a phone conversation with my mom to begin with her enquiring about the latest mad things Tarana has said. Here are some of the ones that I can still remember from this year:

We have returned from a round grocery shopping and my arms are laden with bags.

MeTarana, can you please call the lift?
TaranaLift! Come!

*****

MeYour eyes are for seeing, your ears are for listening and your nose is for smelling.
TaranaNo, Mama. My nose is for digging.

*****

Tarana has abhorred head baths since she was born and has bawled through almost each one of them since then. At 4, she is still exercising her lungs when it comes to getting her hair washed.

MeTarana, it is time to have a head bath.
TaranaI am going to go and live at Arvind's (school buddy) house and never have a head bath ever again.
MeBut Arvind's Mama washes his hair every day.
Tarana: *is rendered uncharacteristically speechless*

Two days later, her dad is dropping her to school and has managed to get on her wrong side.

TaranaDadda, you are very naughty! I will send you to live in Arvind's house and you will have to have a head bath everyday.

*****

MeI am going to call you Whiny because you are always whining.
TaranaThen I will call you Shouty because you always shout at everyone.

*****

She is conversation with her dad, over the phone.

JaiTarana, what are you doing?
TaranaI am talking to you.

*****

MeTarana, have you washed your hands?
TaranaYes.
MeCan I smell them?
TaranaI think I will go and wash them again.

*****

TaranaWhere was I before I was born?
MeYou lived in Mama's stomach.
TaranaWhere were you before you were born?
MeI was in Patti's stomach.
TaranaBut you're so big. How did you fit in Patti's stomach?

*****

Jai: Tarana, can you get that book and give it to me?
Tarana: *in a strident tone* You have hands! You have legs!

***** 

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha..i guess today's kids are really not scared about speaking their mind!

    My daughter is 4 years old too and i can see she is also good at retorts!

    Headbath used to be so bad that once all neighbours had gathered on their balconies to see what happened...once, i promised to sing her favourite song..she wanted Jana Gana Mana..so every Sunday, i used to sing all the patriotic songs i knew while giving her a headbath!

    For the past 2 weeks,i have given her shampoo to apply herself and that seems to have diverted her mind from bawling..

    Regarding the tummy part, she once asked me-You said I was inside your stomach..how did you dress me up then?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing diverts mine except for some really involved tale about a girl who refused to wash her hair and the horrible consequences of the same. But I don't always have the time and patience for it :-)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha...we showed my daughter some pics of Sadhus with matted hair and we scared her that her hair would become like that!

      Delete
  2. Tarana is a riot no :):) hahahahahahha! I am laughing aloud

    and honestly glad to hear that she still dislikes having a hair bath..the brat is 5 and still makes such a fuss to have a hair bath..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked her the other day when she will stop fussing about getting her hair washed. And she said when she is six years old. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. This little lady does have a mind of her own.. keep penning these down-- they are precious and need to be preserved for posterity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:59 am

    So cute! My son is 4 years old too.. and has quite a few funny things to say. One day I wore a blue formal shirt (with stripes) and as I was leaving to work, he asked me 'why are you wearing daddy's shirt?'!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These gems from the kids are just invaluable. Encourages me to share more of them on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tarana is just awesome :) feisty and cute! Shouty is just too funny..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have hands! You have legs!

    Ro, you also have a delighted Aunty Sue. Maybe you should talk to my mother after all. As always, you two have plenty to bond over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rohini

    Must complement you on your blog – very interesting read.

    I would also like to introduce myself – I am a papa blogger and blog on my experiences of bringing up my son fairly regularly.

    Attached for your reading, comments and share – handzondad.wordpress.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rohini

    Must complement you on your blog – very interesting read.

    I would also like to introduce myself – I am a papa blogger and blog on my experiences of bringing up my son fairly regularly.

    Attached for your reading, comments and share – handzondad.wordpress.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Rohini

    Must complement you on your blog – very interesting read.

    I would also like to introduce myself – I am a papa blogger and blog on my experiences of bringing up my son fairly regularly.

    Attached for your reading, comments and share – handzondad.wordpress.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rohini,

    Greetings!

    My name is Rahul Nitin Ahire and I work for Techshastra (I) Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, the authorized agency for Surf Excel.

    Surf excel believes that 'Dirt Is Good'– that children develop best when they are allowed to move, explore, experiment and inevitably, get dirty in the process.

    I’m reaching out to you regarding the Surf excel Kids Today Project; a series of six films designed to show that hands-on experiences are essential for every child’s developmental success. The project provides a fresh perspective on our belief that ‘Dirt is Good’.

    As an avid blogger on mommyhood, Tarana's experiences and more, we have followed your interests and opinions. Your opinion really matters to us, so we are really keen to give you a first look at the six films that have been created by the BAFTA Award-Winning Director Rupert Edwards. Once you accept to be a part of this project, we will send you the link for the films.

    We’d love to hear what you think and could potentially write about the project on your blog. In return for your interest, we will gratify you with a gift hamper and in the event that you impress our panel of judges, your blog will be published on our project website.

    I’ve also included further information about the research conducted to launch the Surf Excel Kids Today Project. It would be great to discuss how we could work with you on this project in more depth. My contacts details are as follows:


    Rahul Nitin Ahire
    Manager
    Techshastra (I) Pvt. Ltd.
    +91-9769732649



    Looking forward to hear from you!




    About the Surf Excel Kids Today Project

    Have you ever noticed that childhood today is more work and less play than it used to be? You are not alone!

    Surf Excel has conducted new research amongst 1,000 Indian mums and found that they strive to find the best way to ensure their children are well-prepared for the competitive world ahead:
    • 60% of mums believe their child’s future happiness is dependent on them doing well at school
    • One in four would like their child to spend more time at school
    • However, mums also believe learning doesn’t just happen in the classroom – children can learn life skills from everyday experiences (82%)
    • Collaboration and teamwork are more important than being successful academically (66%)

    To help redress the balance, Surf Excel has launched The Kids Today Project to show that recreation and hands-on experiences are not nice-to-haves, but are in fact critical to every child's developmental success.


    ReplyDelete